We have been looking carefully at details in the building and many beautiful traces left behind from the life of the church. Here are some select photographs from research volunteers. Do you see anything of interest? Have you noticed anything special when visiting? Let us know in the comments!
Written by Alice and researcher John Marie Jean Alma Scott The plaque above was made in memory of Marie Jean Alma Scott and can be found still be found in Fabrica Gallery today. Through the information pictured, the past present future team has begun to piece together fragments of Scott’s life. Originally living at Marine… Read More Chancel Dedications
If These Walls Could Talk is a volunteer led project that has been exploring the history of the Holy Trinity Church on Ship Street. The outcome of the research will be a publication which tells the story of the Holy Trinity. At this stage in the project we have already learnt a lot about the… Read More We want to hear your memories of Holy Trinity Church and Robertson Hall, Ship Street
The If These Walls Could Talk research team has been exploring varied aspects of the history of Holy Trinity Church and the wider context of the building, which is centrally located in Brighton. Along the way we have discovered that some people who were related to the church had links to plantations and the slave… Read More Brighton and Slavery
Thomas Read Kemp, land developer and politician, was an important figure in the development of Brighton. Kemp commissioned the creation Trinity Chapel (which we now know as Holy Trinity Church) as an independent non-conformist sect and was its first preacher during that time. Our volunteer researcher Sandrine explored his life: By Sandrine Thomas Read Kemp,… Read More Thomas Read Kemp, Creator of Trinity Chapel
By John In 1984, Holy Trinity Church, closed its doors for the last time as a functioning Place of Worship. From 1817, when the Church was built, through the height of its popularity around 1830-1850, when it could, and often did, accommodate up to 800 parishioners, to the gradual decline in numbers, from the late 1800’s to 1984, I believe Holy… Read More The Journey to Deconsecration
By Angi Located immediately to the left of the First World War Memorial plaque commemorating those who served and those who fell from the local area (visit The Boys on the Plaque to hear about that project) is a small brass-plated plaque to a soldier lost in the Second World War. It is the only wall plaque… Read More Remembering Henry George Walthoe
The Reverend Fredrick William Robertson (1816 – 1853) was Perpetual Incumbent of Holy Trinity Chapel, Brighton 1847-1853. “Robertson of Brighton” is well known as a Victorian preacher and his life has already been documented, sometimes controversially, but he is a huge part of the Holy Trinity’s history. Memorials to the preacher are found within the… Read More Robertson of Brighton
Written by Angi Our researcher Angi has been looking into Alan Hunter Watts, incumbent at Holy Trinity from 1917 – 1924; here is a snippet: Alan Hunter Watts was born in West Hoathly in East Sussex in 1852. His father was Henry Ludby Watts, a teacher of classics, and his mother was Margaret M Watts,… Read More Incumbent Alan Watts and his Daughter Helen the Suffragette
Just before the Christmas break, we took the chance to visit the Chapel Royal Church (on North Street). The Chapel Royal was built in 1795 as a chapel of ease. It has gained its own parish and is associated with the Prince Regent and fashionable regency-era society. It is still an active church today. The… Read More Musical Chapel Royal Visit!